HARARE, July 11 (The Source) – State owned fixed line operator, TelOne is seeking government approval to embark on a $25 million fibre-to-home project countrywide under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) agreement with Chinese company, Wuhan FibreHome Technologies.
In a concept note availed to the journalists during a tour of TelOne’s projects, the telco said it awaits government approval for the project which is expected to connect at least 50,000 homes in Harare and other towns to its fibre network.
“TelOne seeks the assistance of the Ministry in getting Government authority to proceed with proposed FTTH project under PPP arrangement with Wuhan Fibre Home Technologies. Initial projections for the first phase of this arrangement are to the tune of $25 million and this would cover 50,000 homes in Harare and other towns,” the company said.
It has targeted to connect 25,000 homes to the internet by year end under the project. It is also undertaking a number of projects to transform the parastatal into a converged (FMC) communications service provider.
It was awarded a licence to operate a mobile communications network in 2011 but that project has so far failed to take off.